We’ve talked about a lot of funny words in the past, and if you’re here, you must have heard the word Proxy at least twice, and for a good reason too, in this article I’m gonna take you on a short journey to understanding Proxy.
Firstly, it’s not Proxy alone, the correct term is “Proxy Server”, this a simply, a Server type.
The Proxy’s Server main goal is to Set up a partition
between a local computer (source) to the Destination Computer (target), Proxy acts as the intermediary between the client, sending requests, to the server that provides “Answers” to those requests.
A few thing related to Proxy Server :
- Proxy Servers usually exist in big companies\enterprises that who want to monitor their network traffic, even though the average user may use it.
- People use Proxies (yes, this is the plural form of the word Proxy) to add Structure and Encapsulate systems that their components are located on several computers that are connected via a certain Network (also called Distributed Systems).
- There are a few types of Proxies :
- Reverse Proxy – this is a type of proxy server that retrieves resources on behalf of a client from one or more servers, afterwards, these resources are being returned to the client,
but this time, they will be presented as if they originate from the server it self, we usually use it to balance Network Loads.
2. Open Proxy – did you know that you can’t edit “Wiki-Pages” when using an Open Proxy?, that’s because Open Proxies (such as Tor) are accessible by any Internet user, yes! it is possible for a computer to run as an open proxy server without the computer’s owner knowing it, meaning an attacker can abuse it to perform certain action on behalf of the “Infected Computer”! (also known as BOTS or “Zombies”).
Scary right? why should we use it then?
- We use Proxy Servers to monitor Network Traffic.
- We use these Servers to provide quick access to external resources on a Computer Network.
- We use it to “Disguise” our own IP and instead, showing the Proxy Server’s IP, which means, our own, personal address is not visible at all.
- We use it to filter content, it provides administrative control over the content and DATA being transferred through the Proxy, yes, even while the Admin is busy doing unimportant stuff such as sleeping!
- We use it to gain access to “No-No Zones”, similar to VPN (yet, so different), we can gain access to certain sites that block addresses based on our location, because we “Disguise” our address, it will be presented differently to the site trying to block us, Overriding the rules much?
young Timmy here,
got bored in Computer-Class, so he wanted to check on his friends by using Facebook, but alas, The Firewall built in the School’s computers was blocking his requests, Timmy said “Fine i’ll do it myself” ( all “Thanos style”) and by using a Proxy Server, Timmy did managed to get into Facebook and harvest his potatoes in Farmville…
Afraid of Timmys? afraid that
the man in this picture
might use all the greatness that Proxy Servers has to offer for his own good?
Well, you should, however you can simply “Prox” your way (yes, i said it) and seek help from Kayran!
By using our advanced and superb Scanning and Monitoring tools we will help you to better defend yourself against all sorts of “Timmys” scattered throughout the Internet.
Stay safe, choose Kayran.